2.3.13

Sago Pudding

The first time I had Sago Pudding was on my honeymoon. My husband and I were all prepared for a Malaysian buffet, however, as we were the only two people in the gigantic restaurant, we were given a set menu. Sago Pudding was the feature dessert. After delicious entrées and mains, out came the pudding. I took one bite, hated it and proceeded to devour it all.

Since then I have craved it. Like seriously. CRAVED. IT. But....I didn't even really know what it was. So here is my understanding of it and my version of it.

Sago or Tapioca is starch taken from the pith of palm stems - here is some very helpful information if you want to know more. I found it very interesting but I'm nerdy like that and enjoy finding out about plants.

Palm Sugar is the boiled down and hardened sap that is collected from the cut sago plant. There are many different types. The one I used is Vietnamese (I believe). It looks weird when you buy it if you're not sure what to expect. I certainly didn't know what to expect and was amazed to find it very prominently displayed at my little corner store.

Coconut Cream, all you really need to know is that it is delicious, but here is some more helpful information. I have also made this with coconut milk and it was equally delicious, just a bit more runny.

Also, before you even start - this is a dessert and it isn't for everyone (see above, where I hated it!). Mr Scrumpalicious eats it "to be polite" and another family member I served it to had one bite and gave up immediately. Apparently it doesn't have a taste or it has a taste but not the right taste....each to their own. I LOVE it. I have a feeling that it has something to do with my obsession with food texture - I will take feel over taste and eating this makes me feel darn happy!



Sago Pudding
1 cup of sago/tapioca pearls (I found them in the "Dessert" section of the supermarket but they also sometimes live in the baking section and the soup section)
1 piece of palm sugar
1 can of coconut cream or coconut milk

I let my cup up pearls soak in 2 cups of cold water for 10 minutes. While this was happening I put my piece of palm sugar and about 1/4 cup water on to a very low heat to let it melt down. Stir occasionally and don't let it burn. Once the sugar has totally disolved let it cool and put it in the fridge. Also put the coconut cream in the fridge.

After 10 minutes I rinse my pearls then place them in a saucepan with about 1 1/2 cups of water and bring to the boil. This is the part that gets...not really tricky...but....needs your full attention. You must keep mixing the pearls or else they stick together and also stick to the bottom of your saucepan and burn. They are very sticky and dense and don't take long to "cook". As you stir you will notice that the pearls rise to the top of the water and become transparent. Once they are transparent they are done - this doesn't take long so keep an eye on it....seriously.

Drain the pearls with a sieve and spoon into moulds or into serving dishes/cups as you like. Remember, they are sticky, slippery little suckers to work with. Pop your plates or moulds into the fridge and let everything cool down.

Serve the pearls with the coconut cream and the palm sugar poured over the top.

Final hint: if the pearls burn they will leave a slimy residue on...everything. To get this residue out of your saucepan try boiling some water in it again, failing that, put about 1/2 cup of vinegar into your saucepan, let it sit over night then scrub it out the next morning. 




No comments:

Post a Comment