24.3.13

Sunday Sweets: Blueberry Swirl Cheesecake

What a week! I have been working 11 hour days so my poor kitchen has been very bare. There was a caramel tart around Tuesday but it didn't last long enough for photos. Somehow I have ended up back at Sunday and only 4 long days left of work until the end of term break. I made it and this dessert just makes the end that little bit sweeter!

Blueberry Swirl Cheesecake has been a long time in the making. Back when we were living in "the outback" we used to do our shopping in bulk. Fresh fruit and veg was hard to come by and  on one shopping trip, I happened upon blueberries in a tin. I was so excited. Berries! That would last forever! That I could readily use at any time! My mind immediately filled with thousands of delectable blueberry based dishes that I promised myself would appear in my kitchen the moment we arrived home (after the 750km drive from the grocery store).

The blueberry tin sat in my pantry for about 4 months. Every time I went to make something I kept asking myself, "Is this really the dish I want to use my ONE TIN of blueberries on?" Then I moved house and I ensured that my tin of blueberries was safely stowed away in a box and transported the 2200kms to my new home.

The tin has sat in my new pantry for about 3 months. Every time I looked in there I could see it. This week I realised I was hanging on to something a little deeper than a tin of blueberries. I now live in a city where fresh produce is available daily. I could finally part with this one little tin that had brought me so much happiness simply by existing. So this finally happened and I am so thankful that my little tin of blueberries provided such a gorgeous, sweet dessert.

Blueberry Swirl Cheesecake
pre-made biscuit base (refrigerated)
250 grams blueberries
1/8 cup caster sugar
Filling
250 grams cream cheese
90 grams sour cream
1 egg
1/2 cup caster sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence


Pre-heat the oven to 140 degrees Celsius and line a springform pan I used one that was 20cm, I should have used on about 15cm. My cheesecake came out a bit flat! I use a pre-made biscuit base. It is just the biscuit crumbs already broken up so I just have to add butter then press it into the pan. Let the base refrigerate.

Place the blueberries and the caster sugar into a saucepan over a low heat until the sugar dissolves. Increase to medium heat, stir frequently and let the mixture simmer until it is thick. Tip the blueberries into a food processor and process then press the mixture through a strainer or sieve so you end up with a dark purple sludge. Put this into the fridge to cool.

To make the filling process with cream cheese until it is smooth then add the sour cream, egg, sugar and vanilla. Mix until smooth then pour on top of the base. Drip the blueberry mixture over the top and using a skewer or a blunt knife swirl the blueberry sauce through the cheesecake filling.

Bake for 30 minutes then turn off the heat and let the cheesecake sit in the over for a further 30 minutes. Allow the cheesecake to cool and set in the fridge.



2 comments:

  1. 750 km's to the nearest grocery store?????!!! Haha mate, how long did that take to get there? And where was this outback place you used to live in? Didn't know you were a country girl. I love the country, sometimes I get shifts out in the farmlands and the scenery is just beautiful; also, the kids are usually just so nice and well-mannered; it's either that or the bumpkin types.. the ones sitting on a balcony with a rocking chair holding a shotgun with a stalk of long grass they're chewing on hahaha. Hope you're having a lovely Easter mate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sure it a one of a kind experience - the sunsets are always the best part.

    ReplyDelete