28.2.13

Chicken Tagine

There are a few celebrity chefs that I love.

Nigella Lawson is amazing to watch. Her kitchens are beautiful, her food is delightful and she is absolutely spectacular to watch. Jamie Oliver is a kitchen whiz and I love "At Home with Jamie" where he shares all kinds of secrets about his garden.

One celebrity cook I can't stand to watch is Bill Granger. I can't figure out what it is, but on television I don't like him. That said, I have been in love with his cook books since I was in primary school. His books are gorgeous and filled with delicious and achievable recipes. While my Jamie Oliver and Nigella cook books gather dust, my Bill books stay off the bookcase and on the kitchen bench.

This is a delicious dish that is great for weekend dinners when you have a bit more time to spend in the kitchen but don't have to sit and watch while it is cooking. The other great thing is that it is super easy and is served with couscous. Couscous is my secret pleasure. I love the way it soaks up the juices of everything it is paired with.

Here is my take on Bill Granger's Chicken Tagine from "Simply Bill"



Chicken Tagine
Chicken breast or thigh
1/2 brown onion
1 clove garlic
1 teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon tumeric
handful of diced green capsicum
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
Couscous
1/2 teaspoon butter
mixed herbs

In a large saucepan place the chicken, onion and spices in 500ml of water. Cover with a lid and bring to the boil. Once boiling reduce the heat and let the mixture simmer for about an hour, stirring occasionally. The meat should be very tender. As the liquid thickens add the capsicum and the lemon juice and take the lid off until the mixture is at your desired consistency. I like mine a little more juicy to soak into the couscous.

Prepare the couscous (for 2 people I did 3/4 cup couscous to 3/4 cup water). Boil the water and pour over the couscous. Cover with a lid and let sit until water is dissolved. Stir through the butter and mixed herbs. Serve the tagine over the couscous.


No comments:

Post a Comment