26.3.13

Disaster Bunnies

With Easter just around the corner I had a wonderfully, thoughtful idea. Instead of my usual rush job, dashing into Woolworths at 8:45pm the day before the end of term and frantically impulse buying any combination of chocolate coated anythings to give to my work friends, I pre-planned. Around the end of February I spotted some cute little bunny cake moulds. I purchased them and spent many weeks thinking, "I should really practice making those bunny cakes. They would be the perfect gift for the girls at work and a tasty cute way to finish off the term."

I had really wanted to make marble cake because I have never done it before but I kept wondering what a marble bunny would look like. I was also concerned about what type of icing to put on a marble cake. I spoke to my mum about this impending marble bunny conundrum.

Her solution: scrap the marble cake idea and instead make the bunnies like lamingtons. Dense sponge covered in chocolate in the shape of bunnies?! Pretty sure that sounds amazingly like Easter awesome.

What happened next requires a rehashing of this picture:





Source: memebase.com via Holly on Pinterest


Disaster Bunnies
125 grams butter
1 cup caster sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
3 eggs
1 3/4 cup self-raising flour
1/2 cup milk


Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius and organise your bunny moulds (or desired pan). Combine the butter, sugar and vanilla and mix until fluffy. Add the eggs one at the time whilst mixing. Sift half the flour over the butter mixture and fold in, add the milk and the rest of the flour and fold to combine.

Spoon the mixture into the bunny moulds and cook for approximately 15 minutes (obviously, if you are not using a bunny mould, cooking time will be about 30-45 min).

Let the cake cool and rest over night before icing.


Disaster Bunny Icing
3 1/2 cups icing sugar
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 cup boiling water


This is where things went terribly wrong. You see I have had parent teacher interviews, I have been tired and stressed and pushed to the limit and I just wanted to do this one thoughtful nice thing for the lovely people I work with but...it was 8:00pm and I just wanted to get these darn bunnies iced and get to bed. In my haste, I halved everything in the icing mixture because I thought it might be a bit too much, however, I forgot to halve the water. So I ended up with chocolate slush instead of chocolate icing.

Ideally, you would sift the icing sugar and the cocoa powder together, you would add the butter and gradually pour the boiling water over this mixture. Stirring and adding until the icing is at your desired consistency. That is not what I did, and this was the result:


I feel the coconut adds a certain leprosy flair to the whole thing. 
I'll be making a trip to Woolworths at 8:45pm tomorrow night. 
Nailed it! 

4 comments:

  1. Bahahahahaha!

    It is 9:20 am on Good Friday and I just read this. Best. Post. Ever. First I get to laugh at the Cookie Monster comparison, and then I get to read about leprotic bunnies. Awesome morning! Thanks Tess!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha - you're most welcome. The best part of this story was just pouring the chocolate all over the bunnies and eating them over the sink in my PJs. Isn't that really what good cooking is all about?!

      Delete
  2. That actually looks quite appetising Tess! Then again, I love anything sweet with coconut. I just love the extra effort you went through to try and get those bunnies done, I would not have even gone to that effort! I'm more of a Woolworths-lollie buyer myself. I remember when we had a staffroom party last one of the older teachers was like: "This is: "Butter-Country style chicken"; I was like: "This is lollies on a plate." Haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lollies on a plate - always a winning combination!

    ReplyDelete