5.3.13

Apple & Rhubarb Crumble Friands

I have been thinking about rhubarb for so long now it's actually become a bit creepy. I've been cooking this recipe up in my mind for a while but I just wasn't quite sure how it would all turn out. I don't think it looks like much but it was delicious and a little bit technical! Since I am in the midst of watching "My Kitchen Rules" (yes I have become one of those people who are suckered into reality cooking shows), I was kind of excited to pull off a dessert with 3 elements!


Friands
95 grams butter
30 grams plain flour
60 grams almond meal (can be found in the baking isle OR usually in the fridge at the health food shop)
2/3 cup icing sugar
3 egg whites

I tried to purchase a friand baking tray but apparently they don't exist in the shops I frequent. I ended up with this shallow muffin tray that I really like. So prepare the pan by adding a little butter or oil to each section and dust it with a little flour (tap out the excess).

In a mixing bowl beat the egg whites until they form a light froth (isn't that a pleasant word). Combine the flour, icing sugar and almond meal and add them to the eggs then add the button on top and mix to combine.

Spoon the mixture into the pan and bake for about 25-30 minutes. These are quite dense so best option is use a thin skewer through the centre to test that they are cooked (obviously if it comes out clean they are done!)

Apple & Rhubarb
2 apples, peeled cored and chopped into small pieces
3 sticks of rhubarb
1/3 cup caster sugar
30 grams butter

Place the apple, rhubarb, butter and sugar into a large saucepan. Let it cook over a medium heat. Stir occasionally and keep an eye on it. After a while the rhubarb becomes quite mushy, hopefully the apples will have softened by this time. Take the mixture off the heat and mash the apples. You don't want this to be too sloppy, make sure it sort of sticks to the spoon for the right texture otherwise it will drip right off the friends. Taste this mixture because sometimes it can be a bit tart - add more sugar if you need to.

Once the mixture has cooled slightly, layer it on top of the friands.


Crumble
I don't feel like I've got this quite right...
5 grams butter
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon plain flour
1 teaspoon rolled oats
2 tablespoons desiccated coconut
1 tablespoon almond meal
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Place all the ingredients in a bowl. Using your fingertips rub the butter into the mixture until it is combined. Place in the oven to lightly toast then sprinkle on top of the apple and rhubarb mixture.


Serve slightly heated (microwave) with cream or ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment