27.5.13

In the Garden: End of May

Earlier this month I wrote a post about my little garden. Over the month there have been some developments.

My first batch of strawberries came up beautifully ruby red ....and proceeded to turn into mushy little balls of yuck! So, I would like to say lesson learnt but after ongoing research and reading I can' really find a reasonable explanation for this. However, over the past few weeks all of our strawberry plants have started producing fruit so fingers crossed we have a little more luck with these - maybe the secret is to eat them immediately!

Shortly after my earlier post we cut our lime tree right back. With winter just around the corner we thought we would trim it right back, mulch it and let it ease into the winter. However, 2 weeks later, the tree has come roaring back to life and is already beginning to produce more limes. Maybe I will be able to conjure up another Lime Meringue Pie after all.

Our next project is sugar snap peas. I LOVE these things and have wanted to grow my own for a while now. I'm not sure if this is the right season for it but we took a gamble and purchased 8 plants. We have about 6 surviving so, like everything -fingers crossed! We don't really have the space for them right now but hopefully that will change soon.


Since the disasters of our last two tomato crop, I had pretty much given up all hope of ever being able to grow my own cherry tomatoes but.....we decided to give them one last chance. Seriously, so glad we did!! It has been a pretty exciting few weeks watching these little guys grow, flower and start bearing fruit.
Finally, this is BIG news, we have arranged to put in some garden beds. This means we can really start expanding our gardening possibilities and also move on from trying to squeeze everything into pots. It will also allow us to gain a bit more experience. There will be more on this in a few weeks. As it is, we have decided that after the garden beds are organised we won't be doing anything major for the next few weeks because we will both be pretty busy with work, birthdays, a wedding and then our trip to India!!! 

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I like this post with the update on your garden in May... I will also put some pictures of my balcony status in June.
    Thanks for your comment and wishes!
    Have a great trip to India... I have never been there and I would liek to go one day.
    Ciao.

    ReplyDelete