21.5.13

Caramel Sauce

I wished for chocolate and got caramel....all is right in the world!

After my "busy" rant yesterday I decided to make some time for dessert tonight. You know when you have those days when the only thing that fixes it all is caramel. Kind of like Banoffee Pie day.

Last week was hectic. On top of National Testing I was really pushing my kids to complete their English and History assessments all in time for report card writing.

I've felt like such a nasty ball of stress the last few days. It must have shown because I had a lovely student bring me in a box of chocolates with the comment, "Dad thought you were a bit stressed yesterday so we got you these to make it better." It's amazing how much a kind gesture brings you back to earth and makes you realise it's just a bit of work in the end. When did primary school become so much about back breaking deadlines? Today I've tried to slow down and give myself and my students a bit of processing time, hopefully I can keep it up. It is hard relying on twenty-seven 10 year olds to meet my deadlines.....the education system is a funny thing isn't it.

Anyway, back to dessert. This is one that has been in the back of my mind for a while. It is a quick, easy dessert.....unless of course you have to lick every last drop of caramel out of the saucepan, then it does become rather time consuming. I took this from a Bill Granger book I purchased years ago that makes my kitchen bench look fancy.

Caramel Sauce
generously serves 2 (realistically serves 4ish)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup cream
1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
10grams butter
Ice cream to serve

Combine all the ingredients and bring to a gentle boil over a medium heat. Allow to cook for 5-10 minutes until the sauce thickens to your liking. Stir occasionally but it will bubble a lot if you stir constantly. Remove from the heat and let the sauce cool slightly before adding to ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment