4.5.13

In The Garden: Strawberries, Mint & Lime...Oh My!

We adopted our lime tree from my mum. It is a Dwarf Citrus "Tahitian Lime". After having the tree for 2 years and yielding about 5 limes my mum insisted that the tree was "dead". We discovered that it wasn't exactly dead but just desperately needed some love and attention.

We removed a lot of branches, gave it some quick release fertiliser, removed the collection of weeds that had taken up residence in the base of the pot and started watering it frequently! Low and behold - LIMES!!! They started out as tiny white flowers in December then, a few weeks, later transformed into little green buds that turned into limes!

 In late February my husband purchased some strawberry plants. We were a little nervous about these but ever since watching Jamie Olivers "At Home with Jamie" we had wanted to give strawberries a go. They quickly put out runners and by mid April we had our first little bunch of strawberries appear. Of course, this wasn't without incident. Only one of our plants grew any fruit, our other three were infected  and their leaves became covered with little black spots. In the end I just cut them all back and we're hoping for the best.


Finally, the mint. A large mint plant was given to us by a very keen gardening friend. She insisted that we keep it well hydrated. On the drive home we talked and talked about our expanding little garden. By the time we got home we had totally forgotten about the mint and it sat on the floor of our car for about a week. By the time we *smelt* it we were sure its time was up. However, with some water and some care (see the lime tree!) we were able to bring the mint back to life. It regularly adds some sweet zest to our dinners.


1 comment:

  1. So nice!!! I like your lime tree! and strawberries. I only have a little balcony but I love to grow few things there... I hope in the future we will have a house with a little garden where I cna grow more. Fro now I have a lemon tree and strawberries... with only 3 hours sun during the day they are actually very well. The salad leaves are the best, I discovered it is very easy to grow salad and put a lot of seeds this year... the salad leaves are already growing. I also have mint, and basil, parley, sage and thyme... I like so much to pick some herbs and use them whem cooking... it make a huge difference.
    Ciao.

    ReplyDelete