9.2.13

Banana Bread

You know there is still some life in my kitchen - it just hasn't been appearing on my blog. Sometimes I wish the awesome posts I think of while I'm cooking would just show up here by osmosis....can someone invent an app for that?

I am settling back in to the routine of being a teacher, though I am still loathing my position. I find if work solidly all day Saturday and part of Sunday as well as get up at 5am and work til 6:30am two or three mornings during the week and stay at work til about 4:30 or 5 two or three afternoons a week I feel about 80% prepared for classes. So that is leaving very little time to do anything much that I really enjoy.

Anyway, something that is getting me through is a firm favourite of mine - Banana Bread.

Banana Bread is special to me. It reminds me of Rose and spending mornings standing behind the coffee machine, serving drinks and talking about the life that seemed oh-so-complicated at 18 years of age. Years later, my own banana bread gives me so much comfort, especially when paired with some sweet iced chai tea.


Banana Bread
1 1/2 cups wholemeal self-raising flour
1/4 cup wholemeal plain flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup milk
2 eggs
50 grams butter
2 or 3 bananas
1/3 cup walnuts (cut, crushed, broken...however you like them)

Heat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius and line or butter up a nice loaf pan. Combine the flours, cinnamon and sugar in a large bowl.

In a smaller bowl whisk the eggs and add the milk and butters. Lightly mash the bananas and add them, with the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Sprinkle in the walnuts over the top and gently fold it all together.

Scoop the mixture into the loaf pan and bake for about 35-45 minutes. Check it with a skewer because it is very dense and can remain wet for a while.

Enjoy it toasted with oozing butter.

No comments:

Post a Comment