29.9.13

September in the Garden: how it all ended up

As the end of September approaches I thought I should do a follow up on this post. Let's get the bad news out of the way first: a whole lot of "life" got in the way of my gardening, as such my Thyme and Chilli died.....that's it. That's the bad news over. Okay, okay, I'm lying. I'm having an ongoing caterpillar situation but, compared to spider mites, these guys are relatively manageable. The first morning we discovered about a million of them I was super concerned about how I was going to kill them.....but they are easily squished between the thumb and the forefinger and a good squirt of Pyrethrum has more or less sorted them out. I just need to be a bit (whole lot) more vigilant with my pest management.  That's the bad news out of the way. Here's how everything else is going.

The corn has been a great hit. I've been sowing it periodically so fingers crossed I should be able to harvest corn for a few months at the end of this year and into next year. My Zucchini is going great guns. The thing just keeps getting bigger and bigger. Finally, I planted the carrots out last weekend and they started poking their little heads through yesterday. I will need to thin them out in a few days and then again a little ways down the track.

While I've been having some caterpillar issues, my garden has FINALLY been visited by some useful insects. I spied these gorgeous little guys and couldn't have been happier.
The beans have really taken off. They are all blossoming and I can't wait to eat my first crop in the next few weeks.
The lime tree has come back into bloom. My fingers are crossed in hope that I can get about 20 limes this season. Finally here's how the herb garden is looking at the moment - a whole lot happier than it's before shot from earlier this month.

 I have planted in some parsnips but they won't be appearing for some time still and I am very hopeful that by the end of October, hopefully my flowers will be in bloom. Yay spring!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment