18.9.13

Oriental Meatballs

I didn't have a meatball until I was 21. I never really understood what the appeal of them was. Even the meatball I had then was a bit strange. It was steamed and seemed to be more breadcrumbs than anything else. Over the last week or so though I've had a bit more time for meatballs. Which is good, because they do take a little while to make. I blame My Kitchen Rules . I've been massively sucked into this show - first time watcher. When you push aside all of the drama, there are actually some pretty decent meals coming out of their kitchens. My Spicy Meatballs with Polenta were a creation based on combining this and this. This dish was so delicious I decided to try another MKR inspired dish - 5 Spice Pork Meatballs. However, I'm not a fan of 5 spice and I don't like pork so this is my own version.

Oriental Meatballs 
500 grams beef mince 
1 egg
5 waterchestnuts
1/2 teaspoon coriander leaves
2 spring onions, chopped
1 teaspoon sesame oil
2 teaspoons garlic
1 teaspoon ginger 
1/4 teaspoon fish sauce 
2/3 cup breadcrumbs 

Break the mince up in a large mixing bowl. Whisk the egg and pour over the mince. In a food processor, process the water chestnuts and the spring onions until finely chopped. Add to the mince. Add the sesame oil, garlic, ginger and fish sauce and mix to combine. Gradually add the breadcrumbs to ensure mixture isn't too wet or too dry. Using a tablespoon portion the meat so you end up with uniform size balls and place onto a baking tray. Bake in a 150 degree oven for about 50 minutes (until cooked through and brown on the outside)

Sauce 
1 cup of chicken stock
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon oyster sauce
1 spring onion chopped
2 teaspoons brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1 teaspoon garlic
2 teaspoons corn flour 

Bring the chicken stock to the boil and add the soy and oyster sauce. Allow mixture to simmer for about 5 minutes then add the spring onion, sugar, ginger and garlic. Let mixture simmer for a further 5 minutes. Mix the corn flour with about 1/8 cup of water. Gradually add to the sauce, stirring, until the sauce is at desired consistency. 

Serve meatballs with sauce drizzles over the top on white rice with Asian greens.

No comments:

Post a Comment