13.4.13

Mum's Icing

Icing has typically been an issue for me. I've nailed butter cream but that's about it. I have always wanted to be able to just make an icing that I can just spread onto whatever and not have to worry about it dripping or being too thick or too thin or having to add mountains of water and then mountains of icing sugar to balance it all out.

We are seeing some friends tomorrow and have been tasked with bringing along dessert. I decided I would remake my Brownies as they were previously very well received. Of course, true to form, as soon as I had to cook something for an actual occasion as opposed to simply for stuffing my own face, my brownies came out dry instead of fudgey (I attribute this to the lack of chocolate - I only had 150 grams instead of 200).

In a pit of brownie despair, my only glimmer of hope was to add some icing to the top. I very nervously came to this decision. Icing and me just don't go well together (see Disaster Bunnies). My mum was around so I very cautiously asked, "Could you please help me put icing on my dried out brownies.....since my last icing escapade didn't turn out so well."

Now, my mum hates the kitchen and we have very rarely cooked together but she very readily accepted  to help me out and she showed me how to make perfect icing.

Mum's Chocolate Icing
1 cup icing mixture
3 teaspoons cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon butter*
splash of milk*

*can be substituted with warm water

Put the icing sugar and the cocoa into a small mixing bowl and use a wooden spoon to lightly combine. Place the butter and milk into a microwave proof dish and microwave for 20 seconds on medium heat until butter has just melted in to the milk, stir to combine.

Using a 1/2 teaspoon measuring spoon, gradually spoon the wet mixture into the dry. Mix well after each addition. You well end up with a thick icing that is easy enough to spread and won't drip off.

Using the milk and butter icing means that your cake will need to go into the fridge (which is why the water option is sometimes good). You can substitute cocoa powder with any other flavour icing you want. The major key thing here is gradually it is a little bit of a slow process but, seriously, this icing blew my mind. I can't thank my mum enough for teaching me something so useful.

No comments:

Post a Comment