8.2.15

Upside Down Berry Crumble

It's the start of the new school year so, obviously, I am spending copious amounts of time preparing, planing, printing, laminating, goal setting, timetable making and searching for a new job.

Every year around this time I decide I need to renew my seek.com account and peruse endless university courses thinking, "What do I really want to be when I grow up?" Inevitably I decide I like my current job enough before I find my new one. In between this realisation, however, sweet food is my one true constant and comfort….that's bad huh.  Oh well, it's Sunday night and my sanity and happiness is found smothered in berries and cream. 


 Upside Down Berry Crumble - for two
100g mixed rasperries and blackberries (I used frozen)
1/2 teaspoon white sugar 
1/4 cup rolled oats
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/4 cup plain flour (if using wholewheat flour use just less than 1/4 cup as it tends to be drier)
25g butter, melted
a couple of chopped walnuts
Whipped, thickened cream for topping

Mix the berries and the white sugar until combined then pack the berries into ramekins.

For the crumble, combine the oats, brown sugar, flour and walnuts. Then add the butter bit by bit mixing after each addition to ensure the crumble does not become to wet. Pack the crumble on top of the berries and compact with a spoon (not super tight, but just so it forms a "topping" more than just a loose crumble)

Bake for 15minutes until crumble is browned, Allow to cool slightly then turn the ramekin upside down, tap the base and remove to reveal a perfectly formed berry crumble tower (or more likely, a partially collapsed berry crumble tower). Top with whipped cream. 




Be happy, things will surely get better. 

No comments:

Post a Comment