6.8.13

Damper-Scones

My dinner went all wrong this evening. I attempted to make Sushi....which on reflection was really dumb. The whole reason I started making Sushi at home was because my closest Sushi Train was a 700km drive. Now I have like 7 Sushi Trains in a 7 minute radius of my house....enough 7s there - they're lucky you know (also do you like my accurate use of "there" and "they're" ...we started our letter writing assessment item today).

So, my sushi rolls fell to pieces. I didn't have enough rice. I also didn't have the right type of rice. I didn't really make enough of anything. We devoured our sushi bits and pieces (and all the random bits of rice floating around the kitchen bench) and were left asking, "So....what's for mains".

Enter Damper-Scones. On the weekend we took a random scenic trip to Mount Tambourine and stuffed our faces with Belgian Hot Chocolate and Scones. Apparently I didn't get enough because ever since I have been craving bready-baked goodness. On Sunday night I kept thinking "damper and golden syrup" but was too lazy to do anything about it....except of course eat a teaspoon (or 4) or golden syrup.

The only solution to tonight's dinner calamity was to make Damper- Scones a reality. Why damper scones? Well, what's the difference really? They more or less seem to follow the same technique you just put different stuff on em.  These were super easy and we had full warm tummies and syrupy faces in less than an hour. Dinner fail = epic win.

Damper/Scones
250 grams self-rasing flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
25 grams butter
175 ml milk

Place flour and salt in a large bowl. Chop the butter into small chunks and add to the flour. Rub the butter into the flour until it all looks like fine breadcrumbs (is it just me or is this the most soothing activity ever? I could do it all day). Add the milk to the flour mixture and gently combine. Turn the dough out onto a flour surface and knead lightly (ensure it isn't too sticky - add some all purpose flour if it is). Form the dough into a large flat ball OR if you want to make scones, break it into several small soft balls. Bake at 180 degrees for about 25 minutes.

Smother in butter and golden syrup or smother in jam and cream. Also add sultanas if you are that way inclined.


No comments:

Post a Comment