13.4.12

The Sushezi

This is going to sound like a great big advertisement but I LOVE The Sushezi!

Living remote generally means that I only get to eat sushi when I get out of town and back to civilisation, which is about every 10 weeks. On doing so I usually try to get as quickly as I can to sushi train and, instead of slowly savouring and enjoying the amazing mix of flavours that sushi has to offer, I stuff my face full of as much sushi as I can then regret ever going as I roll myself out of the shop.

I explained all this to my amazing mum one day who, a week later, told me that she had dinner with my aunty who made her own sushi. I did the age old, "Wow, I'm just not clever enough to do it myself. It's too fiddly and I can never get it to roll right and the whole thing just ends up falling to pieces. Not to mention I can't actually buy ANY of the ingredients I need at our shop." Then she told me about the amazing invention that is The Sushezi.

This is a cool little device that means that making sushi, as the name implies, can be easy! So I got on ebay and $35.00 and 2 and half weeks later my Sushezi arrived.

This conveniently coincided with my trip back to the real world where I was able to purchase the required ingredients. Everything I purchased was "Pandaroo" brand which always makes me think of Pandas wearing Akubra hats and "Dri-za-Bone" jackets doing Japanese things. They are also the company that names their products for idiots. Things like "Sushi Rice" "Sushi Vinegar" "Sushi Seaweed" means that not only can your sushi be easy but you can also be a moron and feel totally equipped and within your depth when it comes to buying products, which is very very helpful.

So, I got back to the edge of the world yesterday and decided to give my Sushezi a go today. Not as good as store brought sushi but I feel my lack of Japanese heritage and the fact that it was my first attempt ever may have contributed to this. Overall I'm pretty impressed with how this went as a first attempt and feel totally confident doing this again (and pleading my mother to send me more Nori sheets). The Sushezi was very easy to use, the instructions are clear and, as long as you have everything that you need sushi can be ezi! It is quick enough to make for lunch or dinner if you plan ahead and even though it's not as good as store brought it is delicious.

I filled my sushi with my own take on yakitori chicken & avocado as well as tuna (with olive oil), mayo and avocado. As I seem to be warming to the idea of prawns they will be my next project.



No comments:

Post a Comment