19.3.12

Prawn Salad


I hate prawns. Really, I do. And this has been a constant problem throughout my life. My family LOVE prawns. Every Christmas they gather around a big bowl of prawns and begin the beheading, devaining and undressing before devouring. I don't get involved in this, consuming perhaps two at most just to keep everyone happy.




Mr B loves prawns. When we first got together
I'm sure he told me he didn't like them but he denies ever saying this! So tonight, for him, I made a prawn salad.

Now, the salad I had intended to make and the one I actually made were vastly different, mostly because I didn't have much of the stuff I needed to make the original one so this is the one I made



Prawns
10 prawns
1/3 cup flour
1 egg
1/3 cup bread crumbs

Salad
lettuce leaves
avocado
grated carrot
grated cucumber
tomato
drop of mayo

Dressing
1/3 cup chicken stock
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1/2 teaspoons ginger
sprinkle of chilli
honey


Make sure your prawns are ready to go. Mr B did this for me coz they are icky to touch. Then you need to butterfly them.

I'd never done this before and found it quite time consuming. I watched a few YouTube clips on it - it seems that the "chef" way to do it is butterfly them down the front. I did this but found it tricky, so half way through I started just doing it down their spine and this was a gajillion times easier and thus, quicker. The only thing to be careful of is to not cut the whole way through them but you really have to be clumsy to do this! Go ahead and crumb them (flour, egg, breadcrumbs) and place to the side.

Combine all the dressing ingredients and pop on the stove, not for long just long enough for it to mingle. Then take it off the heat and pop into the fridge. Make your salad and begin to cook the prawns.

Put some oil in a frypan, enough to shallow fry. Place one small prawn in as the prawn to let you know when the oil is ready. When it is - add all the other prawns, they cook really quick so keep an eye on them. When done - take out of the oil and place on paper towel and dry.

Take the dressing out of the fridge, pour over the salad and place the prawns on top. Top the whole thing off with a dollop of mayo.

No comments:

Post a Comment